Saturday, December 27, 2008

Nothing like the Smell of Home Made Bread

90 Minute Bread

5 cups warm water
5 Tbsp. yeast (6 pkg.)
1 heaping tsp. salt
½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
5 Tbsp. shortening
8 – 9 cups Flour (I needed more)

Dissolve the yeast in water. Add shortening, salt, sugar and ½ of the flour. Continue mixing until batter is smooth. Add rest of the flour until there is a soft dough but not sticky. Put in a large bowl, cover and let rise for 15 to 30 minutes. Punch down and knead on a floured surface. Divide dough into four loaves and place in greased bread pans. Let rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove bread from pans immediately after taking out of the oven.

2 comments:

Marissa said...

MMMM... I'm smelling the bread from my childhood now... Can I make bread in the bread machine when I come home?

Nate Judd said...

Yum, I desperatly need help making bread. Can I come over some time and have a personal bread making session with the master baker?
xoxox