Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Christmas Tradition

Every year for the last 35 years I make peanut brittle. Starting the weekend after Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve I make batches of this yummy candy. I go through 25 pounds of sugar, 35-50 pounds of raw Spanish peanuts, 3 gallons of Karo syrup, and 5 pounds of butter. It has become such a tradition that it is hard to cut back or stop when you have so many requests each year.



These are ready for delivery.  I have already sent some to Ric to hand out to friends, family and co-workers.
I got the recipe from Ric's mom.  After we were married and living with his parents, I ended up helping her make this candy.  After the many batches with her as my teacher, the tradition lives on through me. 

Peanut Brittle


2 cups sugar
1 cup Karo light syrup
2 cups raw Spanish peanuts
2 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla
½ cup water
Bring water to a boil on med/high heat. Remove and add sugar and karo syrup.

Bring to a boil. Add peanuts. Stir constantly. Put in candy thermometer and cook to 295 degrees on medium to medium/high heat. When 295 degrees remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Quickly stir in soda. Pour out onto two buttered cookie sheets. Break into pieces when cooled.

6 comments:

natalysneedle said...

Yummy, and so beautifully presented! Love the way you wrapped them.

Hazel said...

yummm looks gorgeous. x

Oklahoma Granny said...

Peanut brittle is always a favorite at our house too. Yours looks yummy good and so festive in the pretty wrapping.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Mmmmm... love peanut brittle. Thanks for the recipe. Your packages look lovely; what a great gift!

Happy Holidays!

Marissa said...

I am so excited for a big handful when I get home. Jean Ann gave all of the staff fudge last night at the staff Christmas Party and she told me that it was her tradition and I told her about yours. They even served spiced cider at the restaurant... which almost made up for the 25 degree temperatures + windchill (30+ mph winds). Love you!

Bluebird49 said...

Sounds just like the recipe I used to use, Gayle! Sure would lie to be on your "candy list"!